WEEK 8 2015
Mon- Tue- Wed-
Picture of the Week
Ago, This Week, 2003
Ago, This Week, 2006
Ago, This Week, 2007
Ago, This Week, 2008
Ago, This Week, 2009
This Week, 2010
Saturday 21 February 2015
- Nice and warm.
Went to yard sales and lunch with R&S. Not much else going on...
over again in the evening for pizza and a movie. The movie was "Mud",
and was mildly interesting, though much too long for the very slight
- A front is predicted to blow in, but right now it's warm and pleasant.
Worked on the app until late afternoon, then just kind of ran out of gas.
Fiddled around with homework for the 2D Animation class for a bit.
Thursday 19 February 2015
- Not much to say. Working on things.
Mowed the front yard. Also edged, weed whacked, and raked. Also fixed a bad sprinkler head and watered things.
Which is my way of making sure that it really does rain this weekend.
Wednesday 18 February 2015
Wednesday - Still warm.
screwed the two plywood pieces for the tank base together, then added
2x2's at either side for additional stiffening. Then I fooled around,
placing the blocks and boards in the house, laying them out for a dry
run (heh) before moving the actual tank in.
I worked on the app some more. Mostly grind stuff, getting things
orderly, commented, consistent and compact under the hood. For example,
I was reading the NSUserDefaults file variables three different ways in
three different routines, once using module (global-ish) variables,
once with old fashioned manually synthesized variables, and once with
auto-synthesized variables. All are legitimate ways, but auto-synthesis
is less of a pain and easier to follow, and it's good to do it the same
way each time.
And, to answer the obvious question, it didn't
get done consistently to start with because the programmer (me) was cut
and pasting code from other routines.
I historically used a
helical model of development, going back over an initial design two or
three times, making it cleaner and better each time. This is still
possible in Objective-C, necessary even, but it takes a lot longer than Fortran or C.
Also I found a bug in the card shuffle routine, and fixed that...
- The warm spell continues...
put both filled trash containers out. There are weeks when I don't
bother, but it's kind of like spring around here, lots of stuff to toss.
app work proceeds. The card dealing layout was easy, but I decided to
implement the shuffle idea from Sunday. It worked pretty well,
eventually, but there are 30 subcases...
also spent some time cleaning stuff, mostly thumbnails, out of the
Droid - I was down to 23MB of free RAM and it was causing issues. Of
the 4G of static RAM on the phone only about 450M are available to the
user, so it's stupid that they'd store crap like thumbnails there
(particularly when it has an SD slot with a 16G card in it), but so it
- Warm, almost hot out.
imposed on S, bringing over an old sheet of plywood in the morning to
rip for the turtle tank base. I was going to use the radial arm saw,
but it'd be a bit tricky, much safer to do with two people and a table
saw. But, because her saw didn't have wings, I ended up using a skil
saw instead. While at it I cut a piece of MDF for the base. This was
all scraps from my garage, so that helped with the bottom line.
I put a ground cloth down in my garage and painted the blocks and
boards with some old white latex paint I had in the cabinet. I may go over it
with enamel later, though it will probably be hidden by a cloth or
After that it was cutting up the remainder of the tree trimming and filling the big household waste container with them.
the afternoon I did work on the app. Also I got S to go over the specs
and preliminay layout and she had some changes to make, as I thought.
-Very nice weather.
Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary.
I did a bit of yard work, carefully because the shoulder still isn't
100%. First was the cutting of the tree
trimmings from last week to more manageable lengths and filling the
green waste bin. Then a trip to HD and picking up some cinder blocks.
The 18" three core blocks that I wanted for the new turtle tank base can't
be found locally, at HD, Lowe's or even the local big masonry place. I
settled for the nominal 16" 2 core blocks. I'll double the thickness of the
tank base, to two layers (1/2") plywood to compensate for the cantilevered section.
I didn't program, my hands hurt. I did think about things and came up
with a fairly nifty way to shuffle tiles around when needed.